Can you spare some room in your luggage?
Some very deserving children could use your help.
If you’re traveling light on your upcoming trip, the Global Sojourns Giving Circle (GSGC) could put your unused luggage allowance to good use. Much-needed supplies that you carry overseas will be distributed to our Sub-Saharan community partners as they work to empower and educate the region’s orphaned or most vulnerable children, especially its girls.
This courier concept began when several thoughtful travelers asked what they could do for GSGC beyond a cash gift. Although our partners secure items locally in our commitment to sustainability, many items are simply not available or affordable.
Could you locate and squeeze some lightweight items into your luggage? Or, a separate reusable bag can itself serve our partners well. Based on current needs and recent donations, the following items are most urgent right now.
- Lightly used or new bras and new panties (in need of smaller band sizes with variety of cup sizes)
- Lightly used or new tights and leotards (from very small sizes to sizes for teens)
- Digital cameras in good condition so children can learn to express themselves, share stories or even build a skill for potential income (please be sure to have batteries and chargers included unless they require disposable batteries)
- Comfort dolls can be sent to you to carry, or you can use our online pattern to make your own
- Current, relevant books (see our Amazon Wishlist)
- Deflated soccer balls and lightly used soccer uniforms
- Craft books that can make use of local supplies so older girls can learn skills and earn an income
Other miscellaneous items might be useful. Just ask! Excellent quality items may be found among one’s circle of friends, clubs or recreation classes. If you have extra space but no items to donate, the GSGC could provide you with supplies to carry.
You will hand off the items to trusted GSGC lodge or hotel contacts in South Africa (Johannesburg and Cape Town); Zambia (Lusaka, Mfuwe and Livingstone); and Zimbabwe (Victoria Falls). Or, if a visit to a GSGC field partner is on your itinerary, you can deliver items directly.
To help, contact us at email@example.com or call 503-622-9101. Each item will find a worthy home and is greatly appreciated!
Global Sojourns Giving Circle (GSGC) pools individuals’ time, talent and financial resources to educate and empower girls in Sub-Saharan Africa. We make a direct, lasting impact while learning about issues in the region. GSGC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization; donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
Learn more at http://www.gsgivingcircle.org