- Full name: Republic of Rwanda
- Population: 8.6 million
- Capital: Kigali
- Area: 26,338 sq km (10,169 sq miles), approx. the size of Maryland
- Major languages: Kinyarwanda (official), French (official), English (official), Swahili
- Major religions: Roman Catholic 57%, Protestant 26%, Adventist 11.1%, Muslim 4.6%, indigenous beliefs 0.1%, none 1.7%
- Monetary unit: 1 Rwandan franc = 100 centimes
- Independence: 1962
- People: Ethnic Groups: Hutu 84%, Tutsi 15%, Twa (Pygmoid) 1%
Reading Suggestions for Rwanda:
Reading good books about the areas you’re visiting tends to make your trip much fuller and more rewarding. As weight on light aircraft is limited, you might consider reading the thickest books before you leave for your trip!
The major country-specific guidebooks (i.e., Lonely Planet, Rough Guide) tend to offer a good overview of the country’s history. One of the best resources for travel books is Longitude Books. They organize books by country/region, which makes it easy to see what is available.
Many books will give you insight into Rwanda. Here is just one suggestion: