- Full name: Republic of Uganda
- Population: 27.6 million
- Capital: Kampala
- Area: 241,038 sq km (93,072 sq miles), approx. the size of Oregon
- Major languages: English (official), Swahili, Ganda, various Bantu languages
- Major religions: Roman Catholic 33%, Protestant 33%, Muslim 16%, indigenous beliefs 18%
- Monetary unit: 1 Ugandan shilling = 100 cents
- Independence: 1962
- People: Uganda’s population is predominantly rural, and its density population is highest in the southern regions. The three main ethnic groups that constitute most of the population are: Bantu, Nilotic and Central-Sudanic.
Reading Suggestions for Uganda:
Reading good books about the areas you’re visiting tends to make your trip much fuller and more rewarding. As weight on light aircraft is limited, you might consider reading the thickest books before you leave for your trip!
The major country-specific guidebooks (i.e., Lonely Planet, Rough Guide) tend to offer a good overview of the country’s history. One of the best resources for travel books is Longitude Books. They organize books by country/region, which makes it easy to see what is available.
Many books will give you insight into Uganda. Here is just one suggestion: