- Full name: The Republic of Malawi
- Population: 12.6 million (UN, 2005)
- Capital: Lilongwe
- Area: 118,484 sq km (45,747 sq miles), approx. the size of Pennsylvania
- Major languages: English, Chichewa (both official)
- Major religions: Christian 80%, Muslim 13%
- People: The people of Malawi are descendants from the Bantu and are divided into the main groups of the Chewa, the Yao and the Tumbuka. Only small populations of Asians and Europeans exist in the main cities. A majority of the people live in the lower elevated south, making Malawi one of the most densely populated countries in Africa.