GS Giving Circle Coordinator, Paige Hasson, recently traveled to So’n Africa with her friends, Yvonne and Vicki, on a Global Sojourns Giving Circle trip. The trip combined working side by side with our partner projects, a safari at The Hide in Zimbabwe, and time to unwind in Cape Town.
“What I experienced in Africa was not life as a tourist but life as a fully engaged participant.” Paige Hasson
Some of the special things they experienced:
- seeing Victoria Falls from Zambia and Zimbabwe
- visiting the studio of a local renowned artist and activist
- attending a “Girl Power!” workshop in Victoria Falls funded by the GSGC
- experiencing a braai (b-que) in the home of a GSGC partner in Victoria Falls
- visiting a local primary school
- teaching games and reading to children at a pre-school
- listening to Hugh Masekela at an outdoor concert at the beautiful Kirstenbosch Gardens
- a wine and cheese picnic at a winery while watching the sunset over the Atlantic Ocean
- seeing lions feast on their prey in Hwange National Park
- attending a special sports day for disadvantaged youth
- cooking “shima” with the chef at the B&B in Livingstone
- shopping at the Biscuit Mill in Cape Town
Experiences such as these offer our clients an insight, perspective and respect for local people and culture that other visitors may not be lucky enough to have.