At Global Sojourns, we believe the most memorable and life-changing travel experiences stem in part from a commitment to responsible travel.
Terms like eco-tourism, sustainable tourism, and community-based tourism are increasingly used in the travel industry. We categorize all these terms under responsible travel: travel designed to respect the natural and cultural environment and contribute in an ethical manner to local economic development.
What we do
Travel can connect people and cultures, bringing joy, rejuvenation and knowledge. Sadly, travel can also cause harm, including damaged reefs, reckless tourism development, broken communities, and overcrowding. We try to reduce our negative impact on the lands and communities we visit by:
- Partnering with local providers who share our commitment to responsible, sustainable travel.
- Determining which accommodations and service providers operate in a ecologically and socially responsible manner and which are just using the terms for marketing purposes.
- Designing your trip to:
- Provide economic benefits to the local community.
- Minimize the environmental impact.
- Foster authentic and mutually respectful connections with local people.
- Promote a deeper understanding of the local culture.
- Providing information on the area you are visiting and suggestions for how to show respect for local cultures and customs.
- Finding appropriate community-based and international development organizations for travelers who would like to donate time or funds to a specific area. (See giving back for more details.)
Click here to learn more about what you can do to travel responsibly.
We’re happy to share more information with you about responsible travel. You can also learn more at these sites:
its a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.”